Re: mc

Matej Cepl wrote:

What kind of operations are you trying to do?  There are a lot of
options, including using freenx and the free NX client to get good GUI
performance through a remote ssh connection.  Or, use the command line

No thank you -- ssh just works and I don't have to fiddle with another complex stuff. Moreover, I have limited bandwidth, so graphic applications are out for me.

Freenx/NX work surprisingly well over low bandwidth connections - and you have the option to suspend your desktop session when you disconnect so long-running operations can continue and you don't have to wait to open frequently-used applications, you can just leave them running.
Try it before deciding that it won't be usable on your connection.

tools that cover 100% of file management functionality and are
faster/easier if you use some conventions when creating files and use
names that will match wildcards or put things under directories that can
be manipulated in one step.

OK, just if understand correctly -- instead of mc which I like and use, you are suggesting either to use Krusader (I don't have KDE installed anymore, but that's another matter -- gnome-commander would fit as well) or {cp,mv,rm,etc.}? What so terrible and horrible about mc that you are not willing to accept that as an option?

I didn't say I wasn't willing to accept it as an option - I asked what operations you were doing. Generally I'd use cp/mv/rm myself - or maybe rsync for copying, but prefer a GUI desktop with several windows visible at the same time. I just don't like the user interface of mc very much and haven't had any problem without it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx