Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:05:14 +0100
Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > Tim wrote:

> > Give me one example of how they can make my life difficult.
> >
> > Have fun ;-)
>
> My wife had three experiences the last week or so.

> 2) Attempted to attach a PDF while sending from her hotmail account.
> New special feature on Hotmail: you have to have specifically IE to
> attach anything.  Obviously there is zero technical reason for that.

Hello, Everyone
I just tried to attach and send three jpeg's while logged into my
Hotmail account.  The jpeg's weighed in at 2.41 MB.  Using the only two
graphical browsers that I have installed on our Fedora Core 6 system,
it worked perfectly.

That said, even though the above worked for me (but not for your wife,)
when my wife tries to go to the following website
(http://www.marykayintouch.com) using Firefox, she is redirected to the
following page:
http://applications.marykayintouch.com/Login/main/RequireIE.aspx

Here is the text that you would see if you browsed to the above link
using Firefox (in my case, 2.0.0.4 Bon Echo compiled from source):

Intouch has detected that your Mozilla browser must be upgraded.
Browser Name: Mozilla
Major Version: 1
Minor Version: 0.8
Platform: UNIX

The InTouch Community requires a 4.0 compliant browser like IE 5.0

Click   to download the latest version of Internet Explorer

The thing that is really embarrassing about the above error message, and
the resultant inability to access this site with Firefox (on Linux,
anyway...) is that if I go to the same site using Konqueror 3.5.7, it
works perfectly.  In my case Konqueror is set to identify
itself as:
"Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.7
(like Gecko)"

I would be interested in seeing how/why this site seems to think that
that is superior to the latest Firefox....

Apparently this is how Bon Echo identifies itself:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070621 BonEcho/2.0.0.4

Here is how the Firefox that ships with FC6 identifies itself:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070530 Fedora/1.5.0.12-1.fc6 Firefox/1.5.0.12

I've even had one site (can't remember what it is right now) that the
only browser I could use under Linux to access that site was
Konqueror.  The REALLY cool part about that site was that I had to set
Konqueror to NOT IDENTIFY ITSELF!  So, if the site detected that
Konqueror identified itself as what it really was, or if I set it to
identify itself as some version of Internet Explorer, it would not
work.  BUT, if I set Konqueror to not identify itself at all, the site
worked perfectly...  I will leave it to all of you experts to interpret
that one...

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 14:50:27 up 6 days, 22:25,  2 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.63, 0.48