Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

On Monday, June 25, 2007 4:13 pm Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> The thing that is really embarrassing about the above error message, and
> the resultant inability to access this site with Firefox (on Linux,
> anyway...) is that if I go to the same site using Konqueror 3.5.7, it
> works perfectly.  In my case Konqueror is set to identify
> itself as:
> "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.7
> (like Gecko)"
>
> I would be interested in seeing how/why this site seems to think that
> that is superior to the latest Firefox....

IE identifies itself using the following pattern:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1...

So obviously what's going on here is the script is looking for the word
compatible (automatically assuming that everyone uses Internet Explorer).

Mozilla doesn't use the compatible syntax, so the script can't find
compatible; I assume the script then acts as if the browser HAS to be
Netscape Navigator, and gives the "You have to upgrade" message.

Old, old detection syntax.

> I've even had one site (can't remember what it is right now) that the
> only browser I could use under Linux to access that site was
> Konqueror.  The REALLY cool part about that site was that I had to set
> Konqueror to NOT IDENTIFY ITSELF!  So, if the site detected that
> Konqueror identified itself as what it really was, or if I set it to
> identify itself as some version of Internet Explorer, it would not
> work.  BUT, if I set Konqueror to not identify itself at all, the site
> worked perfectly...  I will leave it to all of you experts to interpret
> that one...

I can't even guess at that one...

(I know a bit about how the browser identification works because I wrote a
script,
http://crystalsanctuary.rpgsource.net/dp_stuff/php/ustest/uitest.php , which
can detect specific browser/OS combinations for the purposes of stat
collection ).