Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Robert Cates wrote:

I don't believe what I'm hearing/reading here! You mean there's Linux fans out there that don't even know what the Open Source/Free Software movement was/is all about?

I think there is a rather large base that doesn't see it as a religious issue and would prefer for everything to work together, letting them use whatever is best for any situation, making their own decisions about the cost vs. value of the proprietary parts. That's more or less what open source is about, and where it differs from the free software movement.

So in my opinion, I see these major distro companies heading in the wrong direction (and for the wrong reasons), and I'm wanting less and less to do with them. I might as well go back to MS Windows. Instead of one monopoly, we're going to have half-a-dozen, or more.

Any number larger than one is better than only one. And if they all interoperate correctly without worrying about whether they have to use an infringing library to do it, so much the better.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx