Re: Having an Evolution and Mail notification Problem?

Les Mikesell wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

What I found was slowing the system down in regards to using filters
was it took forever to scan the messages and process them. I am not the only person having these issues here. Even one of our IT members has the same issues.

How's the speed if you use browser access to owa?

That depends on the load on the server.

If I don't run filters, even evolution is fast. I can copy (move really doesn't move) messages to my local mailbox, expunge the server inbox in ~2 minutes on 270 messages.

I will look at setting up an imap server on my computer once I install FC7.

If your organization doesn't prohibit outside internet access, you might want to move all of your internet email (lists, etc.) to an outside server. If you can find one that lets you use imap directly, so much the better, but gmail is tolerable if you let fetchmail grab mail with pop and dump it in your imap server. It actually has the advantage that way in that you set up gmail to 'archive' as you download. Then you can delete your copy as you read but if you want to go back or search for something later you can use their web interface to access the saved copies.

No, external mail is getting blocked. Same as the forwarding that many have used to get out of using Outlook and Exchange.

As for hotkeys, I don't really need them.

I like to read in an unthreaded latest-first view but often want to see the rest of a conversation so a quick bounce between threaded/unthreaded is handy. On the mac, the generic hotkey setup in the OS is enough to add it. There's also a plugin for TB for the other versions but I haven't gotten around to installing it.

I have seen that there is a keyconfig editor available for TB. I have yet to try it.

I won't look at Evolution until I see some changes that make it worth my time. I really hate the way addresses are shown in the compose applet. I prefer the individual line for each address. I also don't like the date display for messages. I find the "Today, Yesterday ..." to be confusing and distracting when I am scanning lists.

I'm not that picky - I just read backwards from newest until I run into things I've already seen. The one thing that matters to me is that when I hit delete, the selection should move to the next message.

Productivity is the key. The main reason I don't like Evolution or Outlook. To many interruptions.

I prefer threaded messages and I prefer to see the dates as I normally work by dates. It is one of those preferences. I found a feature in TB that is great and has solved one of these issues of wanting to scan messages but not actually read them. There is a setting that marks a message as read after X seconds. Now I can scan messages to see if it has the stuff I need to read. If it doesn't, I can either hold onto it marked as unread or I can delete the thread/message as needed. :)

 > But that is my
personal preference. I still like Pine and use it for most of my system admin mail. :)

Pine has to be the most bizarre user interface known to man. Elm/mutt are sort-of tolerable but these days a plain text-only message is uncommon except on internet lists.

I have html, well at least graphics turned off in my TB. At least TB allows me to load the graphics for those pages that I want/need to see the graphics with a press of a button. I never could figure out how to do that in Evolution. But I needed to do some real work.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.