Re: Having an Evolution and Mail notification Problem?

Ric Moore wrote:
On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 12:43 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
Ric Moore wrote:

Thanks Ed, it's Evolutions fault. <g> It puts that stupid --
automatically where my dot-sig used to be before it blew up and if I
insert above it then I get that damn Preformat of text option so I was
trying below it. If Evolution jerks me off any more I'm switching to
Thunderbird. I might just go ahead and do that anyway. Thanks for the
heads up. I do appreciate it.
Welcome....

I wonder if I should yum install it or just grab it straight from mozilla as I do Firefox?
What say ye? Ric
IMHO, if you do it for Firefox you should do it for T-bird.  That's what I
do and it works just fine especially now with Mozilla's auto-update feature.

Great Minds! That's exactly what I thought. Now I have to figure out how
to import my evolution mail box and folders to Thunderbird. Wondering if
just a copy would do it?? Couldn't get import to cut it and couldn't
find an extension that would. I've got a pile of emails stored that I
would rather keep.
I just linked /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird to /usr/bin/thunderbird and
it fires up like a champ. Thanks again, Ed.

Having gone through the mess I will try to help.

Evolution does export mail in a TB usable mail box. Select all the messages in a folder, right click and save as to a local mail box.

As an example, I have to use Evolution to access our Exchange server. Before people start saying use Imap or Pop, our IT staff are not allowed to enable these features.

I take my mail from the Inbox and move it to and Export folder. I then select all the mail in the Export server. I then right click and use "save as" and put the messages in
~/.Thunderbird/{default}/Mail/Local/Import.

Take note, in Evolution, you have to mouse click on your home directory before if you don't want it to crash. Then type in the rest of the path.

I then use Thunderbird's filters to sort the mail.

I tried Evolutions filters but I was shocked at how slow it was. Hours to get mail filtered that takes seconds on TB. This could be due to the OWA interface.

When I moved to Evolution for work, I moved all my mail to Evolution and then setup filters to do what I did in TB. It was to slow to be useful so I moved everything back by saving all the messages in folders that were named the same as the original Evolution folders. I then imported them as described above.

Hope this helps.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.