Re: FC6 sound gone

> "Christian Menzel" <christian.menzel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 5/21/07, stan <stanl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You can check what audacity thinks is the card it is using by going
>> into edit:preferences.  There is a selection drop down for play and
>> record separately.  Then from a console or terminal type aplay -lLv
>> to see what devices alsa has defined as aliases.  Once you know
>> that try aplay -D one of the devices some.wav.  Make sure that the
>> speaker out is plugged into the correct jack.  The aplay -lLv
>> should also give you the hardware devices.  if aplay -D some device
>> alias doesn't work, try aplay -D hwplug:0,0 some.wav, or whichever
>> devices alsa has assigned.
> aplay -D <device> seems to think everything is OK and plays the file,
> but I hear nothing :-(
>
> aplay -D hwplug:0,0 returns an audio open error: No such file or
> directory, allthough aplay -lLv tells me there is a device 0,0:
> card 0: Audigy [Audigy 1 [Unknown]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
> Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
>
> Maybe I have to mknod a device?

With udev, you should never have to manually make a device node. If
you do create one, it will not survive a reboot.

Now, as far as the the aplay error message, for some reason the rc1
release of ALSA is missing some files, or has them in the wrong
place. It works fine on my desktop, but I had to build my own copy
of rc3 for my laptop because I was getting the same type of error
message. I was going to file a bug report, but because it was fixed
in the later version, I figured it would show up as another update.
I guess it didn't...

Mikkel