Re: FC6 sound gone

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 17:11 +0200, Christian Menzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The sound in my FC6 installation was workings since I installed it in Oct 2006.
> Now it suddenly stopped working and I'm not aware of changing anything.
> I get no error messages from the audio applications like xmms or
> mplayer when I try to play audio. They show the normal behaviour, I
> just don't hear anything.
>
> The soundcard is OK, when I boot Knoppix from DVD, sound is working
>
> The mixer is not muted, system-config-soundcard won't help, the
> modules are loaded.
>
> Is there any configuration I can reset?  Or should I just wait for FC7
> and reinstall the whole stuff? I'm desperate...

When I got REALLY desperate, I'd powerdown, unplug the card, reboot, let
the system deal with no sound card for a bit, making sure
that /etc/modprobe.conf was empty of sound card module info (or better
yet comment them out) then shutdown and carefully re-insert it, reboot
and Voila`! Woot! ...der it is! The hardware dingus would automatically
detect and install it brand new. It's a bit *ExTrEmE* but worked for me
in a royal pinch when I was at wit's end. Ric