Re: A firefox secret

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 17/03/07, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

> On 17/03/07, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I know that. But when I'm wearing me "end user" hat, I don't care
>> > about technical reasons. I want things to work.
>>
>> That's nice, but you're blaming the wrong people. :P
>
> No, I'm not. A web browser is a client-side app, therefore it should
> do what the client wants. Even if web designers used px measurements,
> the browser should override that with the user's preference.

No it shouldn't. It should provide a way for the designer of the page to
allow this behaviour, which it does.

No. It should obey the end user. This issue has been discussed to
death in the Fx development community regarding autocomplete disable
on forms. Google it if you must. Long story short: it's my f-ing
computer, it should do what I say. Why should I have to cut and paste
text into Notepad to read it?

> The term
> "large fonts" means "make the fonts bigger than they normally would
> be", not "make some of the fonts bigger than they normally would be".

As I said, depends if the site developer has a clue...

It should not be in his hands.

I didn't folow the early part of this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but...

In Fx, Edit -> Preferences -> Content, select Advanced from the Fonts & Colors box. Select the fonts you want and min font size and uncheck "Allow pages to choose..."

Does that accomplish the desired effect?

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu