Re: Playing audio CDs no longer works. (FIXED)

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 22:19 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> Sure.  In XMMS, for example, go to preferences -> Audio I/O
> >> plugins and press the configure button for the CD Audio
> >> Player plugin.  Put in the device [for me, /dev/cdrom] and
> >> directory [/media/cdrecorder] and select Digital audio
> >> extraction under play mode.
> >>

> > Something wrong here. In my experience audio CDs are not mounted
> > under /media as data CD's are. In fact the mounted CD does not even show
> > up in the list produced by the mount command. But the disk icon is still
> > on the desktop,
>
> You're right, I'm not sure why that plugin asks for a (mount?)
> directory, it's not the one I use: xmms-cdread (see the thread
> 'Re: xmms fc6').  Most players will have the option to both play
> over the internal audio connector (not necessarily but usually
> an analogue link from the CD drive) and to do digital audio
> extraction.  As I understand it DAE is not without its problems,
> but these don't have much bearing on modern systems.
>
> --
> imalone
Ok, it is now working. How did I fix it. Well I hope no one will claim I
am complaining but the fixing method was a little screwy or at least
counter-intuitive.

I ran the soundcard detection GUI. I asked to play a test sound and
heard nothing but I lied to the GUI and said I did. Then I clicked Apply
and then OK.

I inserted an audio CD and it played. Anyone want to explain this?

One thing I should point out is sound had been working when listening to
NPR or videos from CNN, etc.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>