Re: Playing audio CDs no longer works. (FIXED)

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 22:32, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Ok, it is now working. How did I fix it. Well I hope no one will claim I
> am complaining but the fixing method was a little screwy or at least
> counter-intuitive.
>
> I ran the soundcard detection GUI. I asked to play a test sound and
> heard nothing but I lied to the GUI and said I did. Then I clicked Apply
> and then OK.
>
> I inserted an audio CD and it played. Anyone want to explain this?

<sigh>  Simple enough, Aaron, and it has been discussed many, many times.  If
you say 'no' the driver does not get installed.  It can't be expected to know
that you have the relevant channel set too low to be heard.

> One thing I should point out is sound had been working when listening to
> NPR or videos from CNN, etc.

Different sources use different mixer channels.  Simple.

Anne