Re: Playing audio CDs no longer works.

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 10:28 -0800, Joel Gomberg wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:

Would others agree that you can sound from a CD without a sound cable?
Sure. In XMMS, for example, go to preferences -> Audio I/O plugins and press the configure button for the CD Audio Player plugin. Put in the device [for me, /dev/cdrom] and directory [/media/cdrecorder] and select Digital audio extraction under play mode.

Something wrong here. In my experience audio CDs are not mounted
under /media as data CD's are. In fact the mounted CD does not even show
up in the list produced by the mount command. But the disk icon is still
on the desktop,

You're right, I'm not sure why that plugin asks for a (mount?)
directory, it's not the one I use: xmms-cdread (see the thread
'Re: xmms fc6').  Most players will have the option to both play
over the internal audio connector (not necessarily but usually
an analogue link from the CD drive) and to do digital audio
extraction.  As I understand it DAE is not without its problems,
but these don't have much bearing on modern systems.

--
imalone