Re: Problem accessing some https sites

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 11:53 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:
> > try adding this to /etc/sysctl.conf
> >
> > # hack to fix problems with internet routers
> > net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
> >
> > and then reloading sysctl
> >
> > /sbin/sysctl -p
> >
> > and see if that helps
> >
> > Craig
>
> That did it!!  Thanks to all for your input.  Special thanks to Craig
> and Robert for the solution!
>
> I'm running FC5 at home and it has never been an issue there.  And I
> had pretty much eliminated all other possibilities outside of FC6
> settings.  As you explained rather the more aggressive algorithm
> recently added to the kernel has identified a problem with one of our
> routers.
>
> Just to help me (and no doubt others) understand, what exactly did I do and why?

One of the threads of discussion can be found here:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/6723

It would also impact an FC5 system as long as it had been "updated" to a
later kernel....  It is also completely dependent on the "path" that the
packets take.  So from home, you may not be crossing the offending
router, while at work you are.  Of course, it might actually be the
router at work.  The goal, apparently, is to improve performance on
large data activity and hence the feature being tuned up in the later
kernel....  While we're officially "correct", some hardware in the
middle may not understand it, but hopefully over time the problem
hardware will go away.... :-)

--Rob