Re: Proposed changes for fedora

James Wilkinson wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Why are the DVDs so small?
At the moment, because Fedora Extras packages don't appear in any formal
ISOs -- the ISOs are the size of Core binaries (compressed), and that's
how big Core is. But it's also because most people install few packages
from Extras (so the majority of a download would be wasted), and because
the mirrors, at least, are concerned about bandwidth.

Not everyone can use BitTorrent -- it's important that Fedora is made
available in other ways (e.g. through mirrors), and many people have
monthly download limits.

It would be possible to put almost everything in 8.5GB, and use two
DVDs for people who want to burn their own but lack a modern burner.
Virtually every recent DVD reader will do double-sided 8.5GB, you need
it for movies :-(

That does imply tht you're using write-once DVDs for what may well be a
read-once operation. Double-layer rewritable DVDs are not (yet?)
available.

Multi-session is not rewrite, it's "add more" operation. I have the feeling that once you write 4.7GB you can't add more, but the EXTRAS could be a separate download to be added for those of us with DL burn, and also because cheap CD companies could make DL media.

It would be useful if the EXTRAS were on separate media (not as convenient, though) so network access was not needed. I install a fair number of machines with no network, or dial speed. I'm sure I can turn my laptop into a yum repository and download everything to it, I just down quite have the software handy to do it, or to roll my own DVD with everything on it. Maybe the stuff fedora unity uses?

James.

[1] Well, twice if you count the media check...

I add sessions to single layer all the time, even wrote a small program to automate the process, since growisofs refuses to consider CDs.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a