Re: FC5 video devices on boot

Jim Duda wrote:
I recently upgraded to FC5.  I'm finding that each time I boot, my video devices come up in a
random order, which is painful.

I have entries in /etc/modprobe.conf.  I thought this was how devices are mapped to drivers.

alias char-major-81-* videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 bttv
alias char-major-81-2 cx8800

However, since upgrading to FC5, this doesn't appear to work anymore.

Is this a modules.conf thing or a udev thing?

How can I make my video devices order boot up the same each time?

I don't think you need to... The problem is to get udev to give the same name to the same device every time, isn't it? I can't tell you how to do that, but I'm sure it can be done. And someone will say "you don't know how to do that?" and tell you ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a