Re: Proposed changes for fedora

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> It would be possible to put almost everything in 8.5GB, and use two
> DVDs for people who want to burn their own but lack a modern burner.
> Virtually every recent DVD reader will do double-sided 8.5GB, you need
> it for movies :-(

I replied:
> That does imply tht you're using write-once DVDs for what may well be a
> read-once operation. Double-layer rewritable DVDs are not (yet?)
> available.

Bill commented:
> Multi-session is not rewrite, it's "add more" operation. I have the feeling
> that once you write 4.7GB you can't add more, but the EXTRAS could be a
> separate download to be added for those of us with DL burn, and also because
> cheap CD companies could make DL media.

It appears that you are unaware of the existence of true rewritable
DVDs. They are different to multi-session (as you say). They are only
single layer, and can only hold around 4 GB, but they can then be
completely erased and re-used.

In fact, it *is* possible to do multi-session on rewritable DVDs and
CDs, adding extra data to an already-burned disc. Then you can erase all
the sessions later.

I use them for short-term backups. The discs are more expensive, but I'm
not spending money on media each time I burn a DVD, so I can use them
more freely. They're ideal for OS installs if you aren't planning on
re-doing the install later.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | The attitude ``The computer said so, so it must be
aprilcottage.co.uk | right'' is always amusing to the people who program them.