Re: Proposed changes for fedora

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:07:38 -0800 (PST)
Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

with two separate products, named "Fedora
Desktop" and "Fedora Server", emerging from the huge
software list

Gah. Idiotic. Start down this road and pretty soon you've
got Fedora Workstation Server and Fedora Enterprise Server
and Fedora KDE Desktop and Fedora Gnome Desktop. Forget
the idiotic and arbitrary classifications like this.
One distribution. One fedora. Keep it simple.

My thought exactly! Older RH distributions had two options, "minimal" and "everything." Isn't that what kickstart files are for, to allow selecting a canned subset? It doesn't look as if FC6 creates a useful ks file, I customized hell out of some and they were tiny and incomplete, but there's a sys-conf-ks tool which might help.

Other than the tiny install for someone doing mail/browsing only, my "desktops" have servers, many of my servers have desktop or development tools, etc. The world is not divided into neat little buckets, and any attempt to have a size for everyone would create confusion and possibly a unique bugset. Bleah!

Maybe have the install come with a number of kickstart file...

Why are the DVDs so small? It would be possible to put almost everything in 8.5GB, and use two DVDs for people who want to burn their own but lack a modern burner. Virtually every recent DVD reader will do double-sided 8.5GB, you need it for movies :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a