Re: [OT] Protest the Novell-Microsoft Agreement - Sign Bruce Perens petition

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 17:53 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:

> My motivation is simple, to contribute to this important issue in some
> small way by reminding people that if they are going to sign the
> petition, they should be able to articulate why they did so and be
> ready to defend their actions.  To sign without being able to do that
> will leave that person looking like a fool if ever called to task on
> their position on the issue.  And furthermore it diminishes the value
> of the protest when it becomes obvious that many people who signed are
> really uninformed or ill informed.
----
the only inescapable explanation for your motivation is that you think
that a significant number of readers of this list are either:

- to uninformed to have a reasonable opinion
or
- too willing display lemming like behavior and simply follow others

Once again I will state, I anticipated that the readers of this list are
capable of deciding on their own whether they wish to sign the petition
or not.

Either way, I think your proclaimed good intentions are rather insulting
to the majority of this list.

Had you personally spent the time researching the topic at hand yourself
during the time you spent proclaiming a mistrust of the authenticity of
the petition, arguing your non-position, and saving us from taking a
position, you might have been educated yourself enough to take an
informed position. Personally, I don't need a weatherman to tell me
which way the wind is blowing.

> Not looking to debate this either.  I was just contributing to the
> discussion by passing on my 2 cents on the question of whether one
> should sign the petition or not.  Especially seeing that others had
> already raised points concerning involvement by the time I jumped in
> on the discussion - one signed after your rebuttle, another said he'd
> vote with his wallet, not signature - so the discussion was already
> leading down that road when I jumped in.
----
People will do what people do. When I need help, I'll ask for it. The
information on Bruce Perens is readily available. The information to
authentically tie the petition to Bruce Perens is readily available.
That was the point I wanted to make clear. The notion that you jumped in
to encourage people not to sign the petition out of some altruistic
notion is pure bs.

Craig