Re: [OT] Protest the Novell-Microsoft Agreement - Sign Bruce Perens petition

the only inescapable explanation for your motivation is that you think
that a significant number of readers of this list are either:

- to uninformed to have a reasonable opinion
or
- too willing display lemming like behavior and simply follow others

We'll have to agree to disagree.  But I do want to address the a/n
comment.  I simply offered the advice that one should only sign a
petition if one is knowledgeable enough on the issue to properly
defend one's position.  At no time did I try to discourage an informed
person from signing this (or any) petition.  Each will decide for
themselves if they possess sufficient knowledge to cast an informed
opinion.  I casted no judgement on anyone at all.  To the contrary I
made every effort to avoid doing so as it would have been improper of
me.

You however painted with a pretty broad brush when you made the
following statements:

"If this issue isn't important to you or other users of Fedora then I
would suppose that you
have to ask yourself why you are using Linux and not Macintosh or
Windows.

The goals of Free Software are clearly delineated at http://www.gnu.org/
- Anyone using Linux and not familiar with the intentions of GNU or the
Free Software Foundation really needs to work through this since having
no informed position is simply not excusable."

In your own words you judged everybody on this list who choose for
whatever reason not to have an informed position on this issue.

I'm laying my keyboard down after this posting.  Those who read the
entire thread will form their own opinion of this debate within a
debate.  I respect the fact that you are from all indications probably
an experienced Linux user/administrator.  That fact no doubt plays a
part in your passion for this topic.  But that passion does not give
you the right to cast judgement on others by criticizing those who do
not have an informed position and who do not share the same degree of
passion as you do for getting informed and involved.

In your second posting you replied to Gene "sign on or don't sign on,
it's your choice."  Yet you criticize me and all other like minded
people for exercising the choice to not sign.  I never criticized
anyone for choosing either.  I simply offered advice to anyone
considering signing.

Jacques B.