Re: MIDI

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 06:54, Craig White wrote:

> The issue is that a thin station or a Celeron type 3.0 GHz box with a
> 60Gb HD and 512Mb are about the same price and if we simply consider the
> Celeron box as disposable if we can't re-install everything, we don't
> have to purchase the big iron fat server for the thin clients. But LTSP
> is there if we decide to change course.

I'd expect new thin stations to draw less power and have a longer
life than a cheap desktop box, but for immediate savings you
can use just about any old PC or mac you have or can buy used.

A nice side effect of setting up a server with k12ltsp is
that it is automatically also prepared to handle remote X
logins and start sessions on demand via vnc. I don't remember
if freenx is included in the base or an extra yum install but
it is also very nice for remote or cross platform work so
that you only have to manage the Linux version of some programs
and only in one place. You can do that without k12ltsp but
it does all the setup work for you.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx