Re: MIDI

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 19:29 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 14:36, Craig White wrote:
> > >
> > > Does OS X qualify as 'ix in this respect or have they they
> > > made it usable for professional work?
> > ----
> > if it doesn't work on OS X, there are going to be a lot of surprised Pro
> > Tools/Logic Pro/etc. users but Apple doesn't necessarily give much to
> > the open source community.
>
> Personally I think it is wrong to demand that anyone give anything
> away unless they want to, but it's odd that they have a section
> devoted to it here if that's the case:
> http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html
----
agreed - Apple doesn't have to give anything to open source community
though my understanding is that they have contributed back safari code
back to KDE (konqueror) and probably some others.

I don't know of anyone demanding anything from Apple.

The web page you reference is curious at best:
 - it refers to 'Leopard' a version of Mac OS X that stopped shipping
over a year ago.
 - opendarwin is dead...

http://opendarwin.org/

They promote their ability to run UNIX software, X11 (an XFree86
version) and distribute many of the tools in XCode Tools but I am not
monitoring their contributions to the open source community.

I will note that they don't bother with releasing any form of quicktime
for Linux (or BSD or ???), and only release quicktime for Macintosh and
Windows OS.

Basically a Macintosh is really cool hardware with a stagnant,
proprietary OS with too little generalized software that is applicable
for niche usage, with a majority of users with a big chip on their
shoulders. Macintosh users typically have a rather interesting
perspective that theirs is the anti-Microsoft choice without considering
that there are too few contributors to porting OpenOffice.org because
they are happy launching an underpowered Microsoft Office 2004.

Craig