Re: MIDI

On Saturday 11 November 2006 13:10, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 10 November 2006 22:45, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Friday 10 November 2006 23:17, Alan Lake wrote:
> > > I am not able to play MIDI files with XMMS or KMID.
> > >
> > > I'm running vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen on an AMD x86_64 box.  My
> > > sound card is on the motherboard and is an nForce3 AC'97.  I added
> > > AMIDI-plug 0.6 to XMMS.  I'm using ALSA backend 0.8, which outputs to
> > > Midi Through at port 14:0.  My mixer setting is 0:Synth:0.  The
> > > Alsamixer shows PCM as turned on.  MIDI music appears to play, but no
> > > sound comes out.  XMMS does play some other formats, like ogg.
> > >
> > > Thanks for helping to figure out how to configure xmms so as to be able
> > > to play MIDI files.
> >
> > The only soundcards you are going to be able to play midi with are Audigy
> > ones using emu drivers, and thats only after loading soundfonts. For
> > other cards you will need to use Qsynth for example, load a soundfont
> > onto that, and then play Kmid through that.
> >
> > Soundfonts are available from many places on the Internet, but
> > hammersound is one I use. http://www.hammersound.net/
> >
> > A GM one is probably the best to get.
>
> Nigel, I know I did this before, with the sound fonts from the Audigy
> installation disk, but I can't remember where they had to be copied to.
> Can you help?  Thanks
>
> Anne

Hi Anne. I usually just copy them to my /home/user directory. As long as you
have the awesfx package installed, just run sfxload, or asfxload as user,
putting the soundfont name after it. In my case see below.

sfxload CT4MGM.SF2

To check if they are loaded ok you can run.

cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1  , changing the card No for yours if it's
different.

Nigel.