Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:13:26 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is Xen going to make this better or worse?  I've always wanted to

In theory Xen lets your guests operate on a fixed set of imaginary
hardware - at least until a new widget appears which simply doesn't fit
the existing model *and* you need to use it.

> install a base OS once per piece of hardware and never change it
> unless I add new hardware capabilities. But all the packaged
> distributions make me install new kernels if I want a current
> firefox even if I have no use for the new kernel capabilities or
> (as has been the case with fedora a few times) the new kernel won't
> work with my running hardware.

You can tell yum to exclude the kernel in updates. Some packages do have
kernel dependancies at times notably udev but user space stuff should
not. In my case I do this because I'm building development and my own
kernels and don't want the FC one in the way as well.

Alan