Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:33:08 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, but it is one thing to say you might need to make a binary
> interface change every few years or on every even/odd minor
> version number change.  It's something else to say you need to
> change it daily or even in the middle of a distribution build
> that itself has only a 6-month expected lifespan.

The ABI changes every build. That avoids lots of ugly thunking and hash
tables and hacks to keep ABI. The API is fairly stable unless you go
digging deep but does change over time as we fix/improve things.

We do care about the API, but the ABI is irrelevant in an open source
world, and very very hard to maintain. Red Hat Enterprise Linux does
maintain it, and this limits what features can be added and is extremely
challenging.

Alan