Re: VDQ : Konqueror conquered -- by ....??

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:21:12 +0000, Alan wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:20:55 -0500
> Beartooth <beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Upshot : rpm -q always tells me not installed. Yum install doesn't find
>> it. I went to http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ -- which someone
>> here had recommended. It advised me to do yum install qt kdelibs kdebase
>> and then yum update. I did. It still won't launch, and rpm -q still tells
>> me it's not installed.
>
> bash-3.1$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/konqueror
> kdebase-3.5.5-0.2.fc5

OK, rpm q tells me I have bash-3.1-9.fc5.1 (I do keep my machines up to
date) -- and rpm -qf ("force"??) gives me that kdebase.

>> So how *do* I get it back?? Mumbling "Turin Turambar Turun Ambartanen"
>> into my beard is no help ....
>
> I've no idea how kde-redhat package their stuff, but for the default it
> is part of kdebase, and if kdebase is installed and it isn't around then
>
> rpm --verify kdebase
>
> and check the package thinks it is installed properly

Hadn't even heard of the --verify option. Tried it, both as user and as
root. Both took a while (I know KDE is large, and I suppose kdebase must
be.), then went back to the prompt. Without reporting anything.

So I tried rpm -q konqueror again -- and still got "not installed."

I also tried the big hammer -- the GUI that says "Add/Remove Software,"
and opens a window called Package Manager." That confirms that Konqueror
is supposed to be in kdebase, which is checked. (I did a search on
konqueror.) I went to list mode, made sure it was still checked, and told
it Apply.

It's busy resolving dependencies now. Stay tuned. I don't often open this
app, but I've known it to do things that yum and pirut couldn't.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler
FC5; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1