Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On 09Nov2006 12:20, Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:09 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
| > The first FC6 kernel was the first to include this change.  If you had
| > bothered to read the nvnews.net forums (as the nvidia driver README
| > suggests), you'd see that NVIDIA actually did notice the change back
| > in FC6-test3, and opened a bug at that time to correct their driver.
|
| The error in your logic starts with "If you had bothered to read the
| nvnews.net forums"
|
| I should NOT have to read a driver forum to run a new kernel !

Um, does not the Xorg ship with the "nv" driver? Does it not work?

You are choosing (as I do) to install the "nvidia" driver as supplied
by NVidia themselves. It supports the hardware better, BUT it is a third
party add-on from the point of view of the Xorg package shipped with FC.
_Therefore_, having chosen to use nvidia's add-on, you do have some
degree of self-made burden.

It would be nice if everything worked out of the box, but the Linux
kernel folks have never felt bound to provide stable kernel interfaces
for drivers, leading to constant and routine need for users to source
newer versions of third party drivers (if they even exist) that have
been updated to the new interface change.

Consider: what's changed? NVidia's driver? No. Your laptop hardware? No.
What's changed is the Linux kernel interface. Thanks Linus!

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/