Re: A clarrification and an apology

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Let me explain it to you. The old crontab entry did the automatic
update. For me that is not what I want to do because things can get
updated that you don't want to have update. For example when I
reinstalled GNOME I had a problem that beagle was updated. Or a kernel
you don't want to have updated. The present system has an improvement.
You can get e-mail of the updating mistakes. Ok, by then its too late
but at least you find out.

You can specify excludes which the notification system does use.

As an alternative you can have the balloon come up interrupting your
work telling you there are updates. Maybe I did not look hard enough but
I could find no way to tell the balloon notification I did not want to
update except to wait for it to tell me what updates it had for me which
sometimes takes awhile and then hit quit. This is a very annoying
feature we can do with out. I can't imagine anyone wanting their work
interrupted with a update notification that has to be dealt. with.

Am I missing something or do you know something I have missed.

You can file enhancement requests in http://bugzilla.redhat.com. The current system is much more flexible inherently. man yum-updatesd.conf and you can find options where it was harder to manipulate a cron job.

Rahul