Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

Norm wrote:

Personally I prefer Gnome, but then that is my choice. One thing I like about Linux when compared to that other operating system is one does have choices. My feeling is the core of Fedora at 5 cd's is getting a little out of hand; if I may make a suggestion in this area why not reduce the core to a true minimum needed to intiate an installation and create bundles of

I have suggested this before, only much more hard'core'. The "true minimum' needed to initiate an installation is a relatively small packageset that does not require X or a Desktop Environment, in fact I proposed to precook that minimum into a tarball and poop it onto your HDD in one shot, boot into that and bring in what you need in a < 1 minute install action.

Put another way, no playing favourites, blow Gnome into Extras too, turn the actual 'core' into something that is good for Firewalls, routers, server duties AND the basis of a Desktop box.

-Andy