Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 11:35 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> I have suggested this before, only much more hard'core'.  The "true
> minimum' needed to initiate an installation is a relatively small
> packageset that does not require X or a Desktop Environment, in fact I
> proposed to precook that minimum into a tarball and poop it onto your
> HDD in one shot, boot into that and bring in what you need in a < 1
> minute install action.
>
> Put another way, no playing favourites, blow Gnome into Extras too, turn
> the actual 'core' into something that is good for Firewalls, routers,
> server duties AND the basis of a Desktop box.

The Centos guys have re-rolled a single-CD server install which
is very handy.  Fedora could do a similar version and come up
with a scheme to pick one of a set of package lists that yum
could then install to get a system configured for any other purpose.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx