Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 10:26 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> > IMO, it's only a matter of time until somebody will screw KDE and
>> > nobody will feel responsible - Up to now we all had RH's KDE maintainer
>> > to blame, but then we won't have him.
>>
>> I take it, then, you don't have much faith in Extras *at all*.
> Well, whether you like it or not, Fedora leadership so far has not given
> me much reason for faith in them ...

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I'd love to hear what you think could be done
to improve things.

>>  The same
>> argument can be made against everything in Extras.
> Not quite. It's the size of KDE and its complexity is what makes the
> difference - I strongly doubt a couple of "ambitious young man" will be
> able to handle it.

I take it, then, as a challenge to remove your doubts.

>> > 1. RH != Fedora !!!
>>
>> true! Which puzzles me why you mentioned it, because it appears to weaken
>> the original assertion even more.
> Why? I said, *RH* is decoupling itself from what others consider a core
> component - If *they* think this is wise, ... well, I think they are in
> error.

RH is free to choose whatever bits from Core, Extras (+others) to form RHEL.

>> > 2. There are no FE CDs.
>> Coming soon!  (Or at least a method to create customizable Fedora
>> installation media using your choice of bits from Core+Extras).

> See above. I've read to many false promises from Fedora leadership to
> give any trust in any such promise before I have it in my hands.

I think I see a trend here... you may be placing too much emphasis on Fedora
leadership (and "promises"), when in fact, much (most!) of the work/support
here needs to happen in the *community*.

-- Rex