Re: Can't connect to port 25 from another system

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 08:55 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> There is no issue with UTF-8.  There may be problems with someones
> implementation...and that goes for any charset encoding...but there is
> absolutely no issues with UTF-8.  Anyone that tell you this is blowing
> smoke, spreading FUD, and just plain wrong.

Sending anything that requires 8-bit data through e-mail *can* be a
problem, this is *real*, whether you like it or not.  It's not usually a
problem, but it does occasionally crop up.

Various mail systems will transcode 8-bit data to 7-bit, and some *will*
screw that up.  With more chance of that happening if your mail client
doesn't identify what it's doing (i.e. it doesn't say it used UTF-8, or
ISO-8859-1, or something else), and the transcoding client assumes
something else.

Sometimes, sending your mail as 7-bit avoids that happening (UTF-7 is
just one attempt at trying to get Unicode through e-mail systems).
Sometimes sending as 7-bit it will not help, and some mail systems will
transcode 7-bit into 8-bit, doing so because they think there's some
advantage in it.  Again, mistakes can happen with unidentified mail.

In either case, mail systems can translate any message content, if they
feel there's some advantage in doing so (some list servers are notorious
for doing this, very badly).  If you look through the headers of some
messages, you can see servers noting that they've translated 7-bit into
8-bit, then another doing the converse.

Sending Unicode mail, whether as UTF-7 or UTF-8 can be a problem.
Probably not so much for this list, as few probably use MS clients.  But
there are plenty of mail clients that don't handle Unicode.  UTF-7 is
much more unusual than UTF-8, so even less clients handle it.

A point in case about not identifying content properly; many of the Red
Hat / Fedora announcement list messages do not have headers stating the
content encoding, and the pages have strange characters splattered
through them as the content isn't the same as my mail client's default
(use when guessing) settings.  Such messages going through systems that
translate are prime candidates for further mangling.  Changing my
default encoding is no answer either, because the same problem will
occur with some other unidentified message content that's not encoded
the same way.

At any rate, the original issue came up because of base64 encoded
message content.  Someone's client didn't display it, or someone looked
at the source code and asked why binary was being posted.  Sending text
that requires 8 bits is one way to trigger an agent into using base64,
and switching over to a 7-bit encoding is one way to try stopping the
message getting base64 encoding.  I'd try it as an *experiment*, but
don't see much real point in doing so.  Most clients can handle base64
encoded content.  Though it does make messages a bit bigger, but nothing
like HTML.

I read messages from the public lists.