[OT] Charset encoding was Re: Can't connect to port 25 from another system

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 08:55 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> There is no issue with UTF-8.  There may be problems with someones
>> implementation...and that goes for any charset encoding...but there is
>> absolutely no issues with UTF-8.  Anyone that tell you this is blowing
>> smoke, spreading FUD, and just plain wrong.
>
> Sending anything that requires 8-bit data through e-mail *can* be a
> problem, this is *real*, whether you like it or not.  It's not usually a
> problem, but it does occasionally crop up.

Not with modern email clients.  They all work in MIME and encode in
base64 or QP.  All recent MTA's are 8-bit clean.

> Various mail systems will transcode 8-bit data to 7-bit, and some *will*
> screw that up.  With more chance of that happening if your mail client
> doesn't identify what it's doing (i.e. it doesn't say it used UTF-8, or
> ISO-8859-1, or something else), and the transcoding client assumes
> something else.

Poor implementation.  If you have this problem...you need to change your
email client.  Gmail does a good job.... Thunderbird is wonderful...

> Sometimes, sending your mail as 7-bit avoids that happening (UTF-7 is
> just one attempt at trying to get Unicode through e-mail systems).
> Sometimes sending as 7-bit it will not help, and some mail systems will
> transcode 7-bit into 8-bit, doing so because they think there's some
> advantage in it.  Again, mistakes can happen with unidentified mail.

UTF-7 is very uncommon.  It was designed for use in ASCII environment
that could not handle 8-bit.  But this was back in the "old days".
UTF-7 was never part of the Unicode standard.  It was published as RFC
2152.  But, it is pretty much supplanted by MIME and base64.

> In either case, mail systems can translate any message content, if they
> feel there's some advantage in doing so (some list servers are notorious
> for doing this, very badly).  If you look through the headers of some
> messages, you can see servers noting that they've translated 7-bit into
> 8-bit, then another doing the converse.

More poor implementations...but nothing to do with the use of UTF-7.  If
you were to look at most messages I doubt you'd find many...if any using
UFT-7.

> Sending Unicode mail, whether as UTF-7 or UTF-8 can be a problem.
> Probably not so much for this list, as few probably use MS clients.  But
> there are plenty of mail clients that don't handle Unicode.  UTF-7 is
> much more unusual than UTF-8, so even less clients handle it.

You are very wrong in this regard.

> A point in case about not identifying content properly; many of the Red
> Hat / Fedora announcement list messages do not have headers stating the
> content encoding, and the pages have strange characters splattered
> through them as the content isn't the same as my mail client's default
> (use when guessing) settings.  Such messages going through systems that
> translate are prime candidates for further mangling.  Changing my
> default encoding is no answer either, because the same problem will
> occur with some other unidentified message content that's not encoded
> the same way.

You are mixing issues.

> At any rate, the original issue came up because of base64 encoded
> message content.  Someone's client didn't display it, or someone looked
> at the source code and asked why binary was being posted.  Sending text
> that requires 8 bits is one way to trigger an agent into using base64,
> and switching over to a 7-bit encoding is one way to try stopping the
> message getting base64 encoding.  I'd try it as an *experiment*, but
> don't see much real point in doing so.  Most clients can handle base64
> encoded content.  Though it does make messages a bit bigger, but nothing
> like HTML.

It is silly to try to stop mail clients from do these things....

You are right about one thing...  Someone's email client didn't display
a message properly.  BUT, it wasn't the problem of the sender...it is
the problem of the receiver.  The sender need not change anything.

エド