Re: Can't connect to port 25 from another system

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 11:05 -0700, Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> Well since I'm using gmail for this correspondance I am assuming that
> changing the default charset to UTF-7 will affect the text properties
> written in the gmail web interface. Is this right?

Changing the default charset that your browser uses, changes what it'll
use to *display* pages, by default, when it isn't explicitly told what
else to use.

When you use webmail through your web browser, you're using HTML forms.
What's sent through them *may* use the same encoding scheme as the page,
*may* use the encoding specified in an accept-charset attribute in the
opening form tag, or may do something else entirely.

At any rate, to try and control what the mail client sends as (in this
case, the webmail client on their server), you'd need to configure it.
And that's a separate issue.  Whether it's worth it or not is another
matter.  Most things, these days, manage base64 encoded content quite
fine.  A lot of mail clients will not handle UTF-7 or UTF-8 encoded
mail.

I read messages from the public lists.