Re: Can't connect to port 25 from another system

Jeff:
> Is there a reason you are sending what appears to be encoded binary to
> the mailing list?  The below is only a part of your message.

Filippos Klironomos:
> This is weird! I did not intend to send anything binary. I use an
> ordinary gmail account for this correspondance, and did not attach
> anything to my previous message.

That one was the same (and handled fine by Evolution - in deference to
Ed Greshko's follow-up).  The binary being the text of your message, but
encoded to pass through mail systems.

Nothing strange about it, you've sent a message using UTF-8 encoding
(whether that be deliberate choice, or automatically by the mail client
because it thinks it's best for the message's content).

It's been encoded using base64, because something felt it safer to
encode it so it'd pass through 7-bit systems unscathed, rather than try
and send 8-bit data through as-is.

If you get the choice, I'm told UTF-7 is a better choice for getting
Unicode through mail.  Even now, 7-bit data is the only thing you can be
sure of getting through mail systems.  Many now handle 8-bit, but not
all.

I read messages from the public lists.