Re: Adding an Ubuntu Partition to My Harddrive

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Test it before making them all that way.  IIRC there has been some
> problems with trying to boot Linux when the /boot partition is not a
> primary partition.
>
> I have never tried putting /boot in an extended partition myself, but
> there has been some traffic here about it and as I recall, the consensus
> was "you can't do that".

It is a BIOS limit on some systems that you need at least one
primary partition, and it has to be marked as bootable. It does
not need to be the partition with /boot. It is just that some
BIOS's require one. If you have this, then /boot can be on an
extended partition, as long as it is on the part of the drive
that the BIOS can access. If your BIOS can access all of the
drive, then this is no problem. For that matter, you usually do
not need a /boot partition in this case. The /boot directory
can be part of the / partition. There are cases where you would
still want a /boot partition - especially if you are booting more
then one Linux install on the same system.

Mikkel