Re: Adding an Ubuntu Partition to My Harddrive

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:

> So, I'm back to square one using only one HD -
>
> /dev/hda1 is WinXP/2003 Server
> /dev/hda2 is /boot
> /dev/hda3 is swap
> /dev/hda4 is Extended (yadda yadda) with /dev/hda5 being Linux root /
>
> Normally I manually just set /dev/hda4 as the last primary without any
> extendeds but will try Mikkel's suggestion about using Partition 0
> (/dev/hda1) as Extended and see what's what then =)

A couple of things to keep in mind - if you change hda4 to a primary
partition, you stand a good change of losing the information on the
logical partition /dev/hda5. The reason for this is that the start
of the logical partition and the start of the extended partition are
not the same. If I remember right, there is a one sector offset
between the start of the extended partition, and the start of the
first logical partition. (The same as the offset between the start
of the drive, and the first partition.)

Now, the specifications say that you can only have one extended
partition, but a Windows extended partition and a Linux extended
partition are different partition types. Linux can create logical
drives on a Windows extended partition, but Windows ignores a Linux
extended partition. As a result of this, it you can break the rules
and still have it work. It is not good practice, and you may run
into tools that have a problem with it. It is interesting to play
with on a test system.

I am not sure if it is a good idea to expose students to this or
not. On one hand, it is something that the book says should not
work, and it may not continue to work. On the other hand, it is
sometimes good to know that sometimes things work in the real world
in ways other then the book says they should...

Mikkel