Re: Adding an Ubuntu Partition to My Harddrive

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:

> Question is what application allows you to mess with logical
> partitions hiding inside extended partitions?  I ran into this Monday,
> yesterday, morning:
>
> Dual Boot:  Windows 2003 Server and FC4.  Layout -
>
> /dev/hda1 is Windows 2003 server 10GB
> /dev/hda2 is Linux /boot
> /dev/hda3 is Swap
> /dev/hda4 is extended with only /root on /dev/hda5
>
> Students were asked by another instructor to delete Partition 0
> (Windows 2003) and split it into 2 logical partitions.
>
> Student comes to me and asks if that is even possible and I reply "Not
> with Windows."
>
> Fedora Core Question:  Is that even possible with FC4 (or FC5, or any
> Linux Distro)?

The fdisk family of programs work with logical drives. The problem
is that having 2 extended partitions breaks the standards for a DOS
partition table. But if I remember correctly, Linux will handle it.
It has been a long time since I have this. You can fire up fdisk,
(or cfdisk) and delete the first partition. Then try and create
logical partitions. If that does not work, you can try using parted
to move things around so that the free space can be added to the
extended partition.

A couple of things to keep in mind. If you delete the first
partition, and create new logical partition, you may end up
renumbering the partition. If you are not using partition labels,
then you may have a problem booting Linux until you edit
/etc/fstab. If you relocate the /boot, you will probably break
the boot loader. (The first stage loader needs to know where
the second stage is, and that is usually in the /boot directory.)

Mikkel