Re: Adding an Ubuntu Partition to My Harddrive

On 2/14/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>Dual Boot:  Windows 2003 Server and FC4.  Layout -
> >>
> >>/dev/hda1 is Windows 2003 server 10GB
> >>/dev/hda2 is Linux /boot
> >>/dev/hda3 is Swap
> >>/dev/hda4 is extended with only /root on /dev/hda5
> >>
> >>Students were asked by another instructor to delete Partition 0
> >>(Windows 2003) and split it into 2 logical partitions.
> >>
> >>Student comes to me and asks if that is even possible and I reply "Not
> >>with Windows."

> In this example, isn't /dev/hda4 an extended partition, and not a
> primary partition? If it were a primary partition, then we could
> delete the first primary partition, and make it an extended
> partition and split it up.

Agreed - but in this case hda4 is the extended partition and the
instructor wanted the student to delete hda1 (using Windows) and split
it into two logical partitions.

I spoke with all parties involved and they have agreed not to make the
Linux students (IE my students) do that step -- plus they wont be
graded badly for it.

I said if this is a project layout issue I would have Linux and
Windows partitions setup that way to start with next term. This way
hda1 is extended with all partitions logical.

=)
--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting