Re: Adding an Ubuntu Partition to My Harddrive

On 2/11/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am fairly sure you can install Ubuntu to extended partitions. At
> least I have not run into a Linux distribution that you had to have
> a primary partition for. Depending on your BIOS, you probably need
> one primary partition on the drive, marked active, but lilo and Grub
> don't care about what partition is marked active when installed to
> the MBR.

Question is what application allows you to mess with logical
partitions hiding inside extended partitions?  I ran into this Monday,
yesterday, morning:

Dual Boot:  Windows 2003 Server and FC4.  Layout -

/dev/hda1 is Windows 2003 server 10GB
/dev/hda2 is Linux /boot
/dev/hda3 is Swap
/dev/hda4 is extended with only /root on /dev/hda5

Students were asked by another instructor to delete Partition 0
(Windows 2003) and split it into 2 logical partitions.

Student comes to me and asks if that is even possible and I reply "Not
with Windows."

Fedora Core Question:  Is that even possible with FC4 (or FC5, or any
Linux Distro)?

Seriously, I am curious =)
--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting