Re: Adding an Ubuntu Partition to My Harddrive

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:

> Back to the original question:  Linux "parted" will allow you to
> juggle your partitions.  Otherwise, if this is Intel, et al, then you
> could use BootIT NG from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ to slice
> and dice.

You may find qtparted easier to use. It is a graphical from end for
parted. But you can not use them on a mounted partition. I keep a
copy of the SystemRescue CD for things like this.

http://www.sysresccd.org/

But when trying things like this, always back up any data you can
not afford to lose before starting. 99% of the time, everything goes
fine, and the backup isn't needed. But why does the 1% always happen
when you didn't back things up? :(

> That way you can squash down your "last"partition and try to squeeze
> in Ubuntu.  But all this assumes that you are not using the last (4th)
> partition as Extended -- if you are then your best bet is to Backup
> and Punt.

I am fairly sure you can install Ubuntu to extended partitions. At
least I have not run into a Linux distribution that you had to have
a primary partition for. Depending on your BIOS, you probably need
one primary partition on the drive, marked active, but lilo and Grub
don't care about what partition is marked active when installed to
the MBR.

Mikkel