Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 17:10, Mike McCarty wrote:

I don't really think that this is the problem. I think
it's due to memory swap, cache, and flushing memory
to virtual.

That's a side effect not a cause.  The kernel doesn't
use much memory.  KDE or Gnome do. Cron uses some,
sendmail uses some, named uses some, xinetd uses some.
All for very good reasons, but if you need them you
should provide real RAM and if you don't you should
turn them off.  The kernel won't flush active memory
to virtual unless it is needed for something else.

Yes, like Thunderbird and Mozilla.

I use Word about 3 times per year. I don't think it's hanging
around in cache on the server.

Word installs a ton of stuff locally and starts it at boot
even if you think you are loading it from a network drive.

But it's not installed on that machine. It's on a server running
NT. All that exists on the W95 machine is a "shortcut" on the
desktop. I've heard the disc on the server crank up when I click
on that link.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.