Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 14:05, Mike McCarty wrote:

As far as starting a new window or app, Linux is noticeably
slower than WinXP on my machine. A new console window starts
in less than a second using WinXP. Right clicking on my
GNOME desktop took 3 seconds to get a menu for a "terminal",
and the terminal window took 10 seconds (I just measured it)
until first prompt.

Linux is by far the very slowest OS I have ever run
on comparable hardware. The speed I experience is
comparable to running MSDOS off of floppy.

I have not tweaked this machine for performance one way
or other either for WinXP or for Linux, just the way it
comes.

Ummm, so you are comparing one OS that has essentially
no services installed with one that comes with several
thousand apps, many of which start up automatically
by default.  I don't think that's a valid comparison.

I'm comparing my machine running under default (more
or less) conditions for two OS. I DON'T USE THOUSANDS
OF APPS. And I don't like lots of services starting up
automatically whether I want them or not.

Try loading an equivalent set of applications on the
windows box if you can afford it, or at least load the
same amount of stuff on the disk before doing updates.

I don't want all that junk on there.
How about I send you a listing from ps and you tell me
what I can kill that will make my machine faster?

My experience with Windows is that it seems fast when
initially loaded, but after you add applications and
updates it slows down a lot.

Not my experience. I have a well-loaded Win95 and a
well-loaded Win98 machine, both of which load up
Word more than 10x as fast as Open Office loads
on my Linux machine. The 300 MHz Win95 machine even pulls it
across a LAN faster than my 2.71 GHz Linux box can load OO
from its local disc. I just clicked on the "OpenOffice.org
Writer Word processor" icon on the task bar at the bottom
of my screen, and it was 58 seconds before it was ready
to take a keystroke, on my 2.71 GHz Linux machine. On my
400MHz Win98 machine, Word loads in less than 5 secs.

YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.