Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 17:10, Mike McCarty wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > KDE and Gnome are huge.  Start in runlevel 3 if you
> > don't need X, switch to one of the lightweight window
> > managers if you do but don't need the extra features.
> > Look through Desktop/System Settings/Server Settings/Services
> > and turn off everything you don't need.  Most have
> > reasonable descriptions but be sure you don't need any
> > of the various other services started on demand by
> > xinetd (pop/imap/ftp, etc) before killing it.
>
> I don't really think that this is the problem. I think
> it's due to memory swap, cache, and flushing memory
> to virtual.

That's a side effect not a cause.  The kernel doesn't
use much memory.  KDE or Gnome do. Cron uses some,
sendmail uses some, named uses some, xinetd uses some.
All for very good reasons, but if you need them you
should provide real RAM and if you don't you should
turn them off.  The kernel won't flush active memory
to virtual unless it is needed for something else.

> >>Not my experience. I have a well-loaded Win95 and a
> >>well-loaded Win98 machine, both of which load up
> >>Word more than 10x as fast as Open Office loads
> >>on my Linux machine.
> >

> > Word isn't a fair comparison.  MS cheats by pre-loading
> > much of it at bootup.  Compare Openoffice to OpenOffice.
>
> Yes, it is, because WinXp boots faster then Linux.

You've got to compare apples to apples.  XP isn't loading
sendmail at startup, or a scheduler, or the dozens of
other nice things that fedora includes in a default
install.  Get rid of those or add equivalents to XP
before making another meaningless comparison.

> >>The 300 MHz Win95 machine even pulls it
> >>across a LAN faster than my 2.71 GHz Linux box can load OO
> >>from its local disc.
> >

> > It's not unusual for networks to be faster than local drives,
> > and typical if the server side already has the file cached
> > from some earlier use.
>
> I use Word about 3 times per year. I don't think it's hanging
> around in cache on the server.

Word installs a ton of stuff locally and starts it at boot
even if you think you are loading it from a network drive.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx