Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:25, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

KDE and Gnome are huge.  Start in runlevel 3 if you
don't need X, switch to one of the lightweight window
managers if you do but don't need the extra features.
Look through Desktop/System Settings/Server Settings/Services
and turn off everything you don't need.  Most have
reasonable descriptions but be sure you don't need any
of the various other services started on demand by
xinetd (pop/imap/ftp, etc) before killing it.

I don't really think that this is the problem. I think
it's due to memory swap, cache, and flushing memory
to virtual.

Not my experience. I have a well-loaded Win95 and a
well-loaded Win98 machine, both of which load up
Word more than 10x as fast as Open Office loads
on my Linux machine.

Word isn't a fair comparison.  MS cheats by pre-loading
much of it at bootup.  Compare Openoffice to OpenOffice.

Yes, it is, because WinXp boots faster then Linux.

The 300 MHz Win95 machine even pulls it
across a LAN faster than my 2.71 GHz Linux box can load OO
from its local disc.

It's not unusual for networks to be faster than local drives,
and typical if the server side already has the file cached
from some earlier use.

I use Word about 3 times per year. I don't think it's hanging
around in cache on the server.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.