Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:25, Mike McCarty wrote:

> > Ummm, so you are comparing one OS that has essentially
> > no services installed with one that comes with several
> > thousand apps, many of which start up automatically
> > by default.  I don't think that's a valid comparison.
>
> I'm comparing my machine running under default (more
> or less) conditions for two OS. I DON'T USE THOUSANDS
> OF APPS. And I don't like lots of services starting up
> automatically whether I want them or not.

Then at the least, you should pick the 'minimal' install
option on fedora.

> > Try loading an equivalent set of applications on the
> > windows box if you can afford it, or at least load the
> > same amount of stuff on the disk before doing updates.
>
> I don't want all that junk on there.
> How about I send you a listing from ps and you tell me
> what I can kill that will make my machine faster?

KDE and Gnome are huge.  Start in runlevel 3 if you
don't need X, switch to one of the lightweight window
managers if you do but don't need the extra features.
Look through Desktop/System Settings/Server Settings/Services
and turn off everything you don't need.  Most have
reasonable descriptions but be sure you don't need any
of the various other services started on demand by
xinetd (pop/imap/ftp, etc) before killing it.

> > My experience with Windows is that it seems fast when
> > initially loaded, but after you add applications and
> > updates it slows down a lot.
>
> Not my experience. I have a well-loaded Win95 and a
> well-loaded Win98 machine, both of which load up
> Word more than 10x as fast as Open Office loads
> on my Linux machine.

Word isn't a fair comparison.  MS cheats by pre-loading
much of it at bootup.  Compare Openoffice to OpenOffice.

> The 300 MHz Win95 machine even pulls it
> across a LAN faster than my 2.71 GHz Linux box can load OO
> from its local disc.

It's not unusual for networks to be faster than local drives,
and typical if the server side already has the file cached
from some earlier use.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx