Re: nVidia proprietary driver under FC4 and FC2 - de-interlacing problem

Is there nothing in the nvidia usermode applet I seem to recall exists now?

> What can conspire to make the difference?
>
>  - Setting inherited from video BIOS card init (different video BIOS action)
>
>  - Different version of xorg, different driver behaviour
>
>  - Different nVidia driver version
>
>  - Different TV out chip on the cards (eg, Conextant or Nvidia)
>
>  - Different settings squirreled away on your filesystem somewhere being
> interpreted by the driver and causing different configuration
>
>  - Infestation by malign Demons (perhaps incantated by ATI)
>
> Any more?
>
> -Andy
> --

The demon explanation seems most likely, but otherwise I'm at a loss.
I'm not sure what you mean by the TV-out chip. I'm only using the 5700's
to output the video - just like using an ordinary pc monitor. I'm
playing back recorded HDTV programs using xine on the FC2 system and
mplayer on the FC4 system (this can't be the problem - the desktop
display from the FC4 system has the problem whether I actually run
mplayer or not). The HDTV programs were captured by using HD-3000 HDTV
tuners (bought at the same time not that they can really be the problem
since the problem is in the OS desktop display itself).

By the nvidia applet, I guess you are referring to an application with
the menu name "NVIDIA X Server Settings" under Applications|System
Tools? It's the only user program I've noticed that was installed when I
installed the nvidia driver on the FC4 system. I've checked through all
the options, changed some to see the effect, but none of them appear to
control the pseudo de-interlacing. (I'm saying it's pseudo
de-interlacing because xvidtune reports the correct 1920x1080i modeline
information so I don't think the output is actually de-interlaced.)

I guess I should contact nvidia.

Rick