Re: Disable network init on boot?

Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 14:47:26 +0100
From: Toralf Lund < toralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Disable network init on boot?
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

I think maybe I knew how to do this once, but I never can remember the
details of kernel arguments, and the docs/howtos are not of much assistance.

Anyhow, I've installed a new driver for my (wireless) network, and it's
not working very well - the system will lock up completely in the
hardware init stage. As it happens, I think I know how to make things
work, but before I can do that, I need to be able to start up the system
in single user mode at least. So how exactly do I do that? How do I
prevent the kernel from loading a certain module that modprobe.conf
tells it to load? Can I disable a "device type" in the hardware init
phase? And shouldn't there be as simple way to start up the system with
the minimal config to allow access to the harddisk? Or is there one?

And so on...

- T
FC4 Rescue CD
FC4 install CD using the rescue mode (see opening screen)
Any Live CD Distro (Ubuntu, for example, do a "sudo -s" from the terminal).
Editing the "Kernel" line in Grub adding a 1 may well not load the mods.

Most rescue modes have the HD mounted and vi works for an editor.

There is alaways:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /newMadeIDirectory

to mount an ext3 partition on hda1 on a directory you newly made with "mkdir newMadeDirectory".

Have fun!

Tod

BTW - same boat - making a new kernel today probably.