Re: nVidia proprietary driver under FC4 and FC2 - de-interlacing problem

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 10:01 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
> > monitor. Unfortunately, the FC4 system using the same card and modelines
> > on the same HDTV monitor produces a display that seems to be trying to
> > reduce interlace flicker (which produces an inferior display). I can't
>
> This is done in the TV-out end of things, the driver would control it I
> would think.
>
> > find the source of the difference between the two systems. I guess it
> > has to be either the OS difference or the difference in the version of
>
> How about a difference in the Video BIOS?  Does the problem persist in
> the FC4 box if you physically swap the video cards in the two systems?
>
> > display is inferior. Is there something FC4 is doing to reduce the
> > interlace flicker?
>
> Can it be the video cable you use on the FC4 box has a crappier
> bandwidth profile?  Try simply swapping the video cables with the FC2 box.
>
> AFAIK FC4 cares nothing for your nvidia card directly if you don't use
> the supplied nv driver.
>
> Do nvidia not provide a fancy TV-out applet now with the driver?
> Examine the TV encoder settings on that for filtering options.

Thanks for your comments. I should have mentioned that I'm using the vga
output port of the 5700 card. It also has a dvi port. Remember, I'm
dealing with HDTV. TV-out at best is only s-video (which the 5700 has -
but who would use a conventional analog TV format when you can get high
definition out of the vga or dvi ports?). The HDTV monitor I have has an
HDTV vga input (which can only be used by HDTV tuners with a vga output
such as an RCA DCT-100), a pc vga input (which is multi-sync and can
handle HDTV resolutions from a PC in addition to standard 800x600p and
640x480p), and a component (3 rca style cables) input (which can handle
the same resolutions as the pc vga input port). I'm using the pc vga
input. This works perfectly for the FC2 system and should work the same
for the FC4 system. I can also use the component input (the type of
input used by most DVD players). The component input can handle
1920x1080i if I use a vga-to-component converter. In order to use the
converter, the vga input must already be 1920x1080i. It only converts it
to component but otherwise will not convert a non-HDTV resolution into
an HDTV output. So I have two ways to connect the HDTV output from the
pc's vga output. Both systems can display to the HDTV monitor either
using the monitor's pc vga port or the component port - but only the FC2
display is pure 1920x1080i and looks like HDTV 1080i should. I've also
connected both the FC2 and FC4 systems to a multi-sync crt (SGI 17"
17E21). The SGI monitor can display HDTV output (as can most multi-sync
vga monitors). The story is the same - I get perfect 1080i display from
the FC2 system but not the FC4.

This is not a problem with a cable. The display from the FC4 system is
being de-interlaced (or the fields are being filtered to simulate
de-interlacing - there is little or no flicker but it sort of looks like
every other line of text is missing - the FC2 interlaced display
flickersa bit - typical of interlacing - but the text looks much
better). Having said that, I had switched cables during testing and so
it cannot be the cable. I used the same cable for both systems. Only the
FC4 system has the problem.

I haven't swapped the cards. I don't think that is the problem.
Remember, the 5200 card (which is older than the 5700 cand in the FC2
system) in the FC4 system displays the same type of pseudo de-interlaced
output. The problem is the pseudo de-interlacing. How do I stop it on
the FC4 system? Either FC4 is doing the de-interlacing or the nVidia
card via the xorg.conf file is doing the de-interlacing. But I cannot
find an option to control the de-interlacing (to turn it off).

Rick B.