Re: nVidia proprietary driver under FC4 and FC2 - de-interlacing problem

Rick Bilonick wrote:

> Thanks for your comments. I should have mentioned that I'm using the vga
> output port of the 5700 card. It also has a dvi port. Remember, I'm
> dealing with HDTV. TV-out at best is only s-video (which the 5700 has -

Yes, but analogue video, especially HDTV would react badly to the higher
frequencies being attenuated by a crappy cable or connector, you would
see 'smearing', ghosting / ringing on abrubt changes in intensity.  Just
wondered if that might have been what you were reporting as
deinterlacing.  I don't mean to tell you that you don't know what it
looks like.

> better). Having said that, I had switched cables during testing and so
> it cannot be the cable. I used the same cable for both systems. Only the
> FC4 system has the problem.

Fine then, not the cable.

> I haven't swapped the cards. I don't think that is the problem.

It's still an interesting test to see if the problem moves with a card.

> the FC4 system? Either FC4 is doing the de-interlacing or the nVidia
> card via the xorg.conf file is doing the de-interlacing. But I cannot
> find an option to control the de-interlacing (to turn it off).

Is there nothing in the nvidia usermode applet I seem to recall exists now?

What can conspire to make the difference?

 - Setting inherited from video BIOS card init (different video BIOS action)

 - Different version of xorg, different driver behaviour

 - Different nVidia driver version

 - Different TV out chip on the cards (eg, Conextant or Nvidia)

 - Different settings squirreled away on your filesystem somewhere being
interpreted by the driver and causing different configuration

 - Infestation by malign Demons (perhaps incantated by ATI)

Any more?

-Andy