Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:04:13AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 01:21, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

> > Very unlikely.  RHEL is too boring for a community to participate. It is
> > almost stagnant which is great for enterprises but not for the
> > community. If RHEL would have been suitable for everyone Red Hat wouldnt
> > started Fedora or vice versa.
>
> Your argument would be more convincing if you could point out
> some directions that FC has taken that are more in the
> community interest than in building the next RHEL.  Can you?
>
> RHEL4 looks very much like a direct cutover from what was
> built in FC3 with Mysql4.x dropped in, and so far everything
> in subsequent FC releases looks like more of the same. If
> this is really supposed to be a community project, shouldn't
> it take some directions that aren't aimed at building the
> next RHEL version?

One can argue to what extent the community project Fedora is. But, it
is a community project whose purpose is too improve Red Hat's Linux
offering. They pay the core people who design and work on it so in
some sense they have a right to use it for their purposes. But as I
have said many times before I wish Red Hat would be more open to the
opinions of the community.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University